Monday, September 14, 2009

Fruit Flies AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!@!

Ok, Sisters: No hiding it. I have fruit flies. They are driving me crazy! I have been fighting them for 10 days, just when I thought we were at the end of it, yesterday they were the worst. When I walk through my kitchen I'm pelted by these "darn" bugs. I have been embarrassed to let it be known because I didn't want to be viewed as a bad homemaker. But yesterday I discovered many others are having problems, so I decided to share what we've done. Maybe it will help you, but mostly I'm hoping someone out there will call me, share what they did (hopefully a permanent solution) and I will be free of these things. Every sister that calls me with a tip, I will post it on here to help any of you. I'm not even going to post a picture. The fruit flies don't deserve anymore attention and I'm tired of looking at them. Cassie 801-636-2441

1st step: When I first noticed the fruit flies I checked the fruit. I threw it all out and put the fresh stuff in the fridge. I found one bad banana and assumed that would clear up the problem. The next morning I had more fruit flies.

2nd step: I cleaned everything; fridge, dishwasher, countertops, floors, etc. Didn't seem to make a difference.

3rd step: Checked the internet. Made cone jars. I took a quart size fruit jar, put 1-2 cups of apple cider vinegar in them, sugar (a tip from Denise Park) and a few drops of dishwashing soap (another Denise Park tip). I took a piece of paper, made it into a cone with tape and set it in the jars. Seth later put packaging tape around the top so the bugs couldn't escape. By morning I had hundreds of bugs trapped and dead. It worked well. But still have problems

4th step: Last night we put out a trap we purchased at Walmart, called "Hot Shot, No Pest Strip". Being pregnant I'm scared to try anything with lots of chemicals. This strip says to put it out for 4 hours and then put it away. Seth did it for me during the night. Well, don't waste your money. It didn't do a thing.

5th step: Last night we also put bleach down the drains. I had heard that's where they may be breeding. We hit every drain in our house. Surprisingly, Seth allowed this because I've learned since (from Monica DeGrey) that bleach is hard on your septic tank. She suggests using baking soda. We closed up all the drains. It appears to have made no difference. It's not worse though.

6th step: This morning I pulled out the windex again. When a large amount of flies land on my windows I spray them, it stuns and even kills some, I scoop them up with a paper towel. This has made a difference, but it's going to take me all day. So I may be hanging out by my windows. Wave if you drive by.

Yesterday, Sister Kay Newton mentioned her husband sprayed outside their home, particularly in the garbage can. She said it made a temporary difference.

I realize eventually fruit fly season will end. How longs that? I've heard 2-4 more weeks! Oh, please don't let me lose my mind. Maybe I'll head to the mall.

No comments: