Monday, January 17, 2011

Storing Spices




Storing Herbs, Spices and Seasonings

  • Store dried spices and herbs in a cool, dark, and dry place. Heat, moisture, and strong light can degrade the flavor and effectiveness of your seasonings.2

  • Do not display seasonings on open racks above or near your stove or dishwasher or anywhere in your kitchen they will be exposed to heat.

  • You can safely store your whole dried spices and herbs by putting them in your freezer for up to three years to keep them fresher. However, you can only store ground seasonings in your freezer for no more than six months.

  • Author Betty Rhodes suggests that the date of purchase should be recorded. Write the date you bought the herbs and spices on the containers with a marker. Check for a change in color, a musty odor or no odor. These are indicators that herbs and spices may have degraded and will no longer flavor food the way they should.

This is not my spice cupboard, but impressive isn't it? I cleaned the second half of my pantry and that happens to be where I store my spices. I thought it would help if I learned a little about it. Tomorrow I'll clean, hopefully another third, of my kitchen cabinets. Cassie

No comments: