Sunday, September 19, 2010

In the Kitchen September Recipe: Herb & Parmesan Focaccia Bread

I am not a great cook. I made this and my family loves it!! It's really EASY!!

Larita Johnstun shared this Focaccia bread recipe with us.

1 1/2 cups warm water (between 110 to 115 degrees)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 oz (1 package) yeast
3 1/4 cups flour (you may need more to achieve the smooth elasticity)
2 teaspoons salt, plus more for seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil (I used canola oil, and it worked fine.)
2 tablespoons mixed herbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, dissolve the sugar and the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture and let stnad for 10 minutes to bloom (it should begin to foam).
*I used 2 tablespoons of Saf yeast, and just added it dry to the flour mixture before the water. It only has to rise for about 30 minutes.

In the mixer bowl with the dough hook attached, add 3 cups of flour, salt, yeast mixture. Slowly turn it on and work the dough together. Turn it up to medium and mix for 5 min. If the dough is sticky, continue mixing and gradually add the remaining flour. Place the smooth ball of dough into an oiled bowl. (This is the 2 tablespoons of oil.) cover, and set aside to rise for 3 hours. (That's why I like the Safe yeast.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread dough out on an oiled tray and press dimples into it with your fingers. Drizzle with oil, herbs, cheese and seasonings. This is where you can get creative. We cut the dough in smaller pieces and created different toppings.

Bake until browned and cooked through 20 -25 min. Let cool, if you can. :)

( I don't have a dough hook, so I just used my cake batter attachment and mixed for 3 min. instead of 5 min. I know, I told you I'm not a great cook...maybe I should follow the recipe.)

Denise Park

No comments: